August 10th & 11th, 2018 Fair Festivities
Save the date now for our annual Fair festivities happening August 10&11, 2018!
COMMUNITY BBQ DINNER – FRIDAY, AUGUST 10th
Current camper and staff families, alumni, friends and neighbors are invited to attend the F&W Community BBQ Dinner the evening before Fair. The event begins with a 6PM reception and 6:45PM dinner. At 7:30PM we will host a special interactive program to reflect on next year’s 400th anniversary of the arrival of Africans in Jamestown and the legacy of inequality. Join Molly Rose Kaufman (SAM ’91-’93, BDC staff 2000) and her colleague Aubrey Murdock, organizers of the “400 Years of Inequality” project which seeks to remember this anniversary by deepening our understanding of our history, and then building new coalitions to work across divides to define and address our common needs. (Learn more at www.400yearsofinequality.org). The dinner is open to all at no cost. If you have any questions please contact Jen Flaster at [email protected] or 802-422-2031.
The BBQ will be at the Skyeship Base Lodge at Killington located off of Route 100, 3.5 miles Northwest of F&W’s main entrance and 11.5 miles Northwest of the Echo Lake Inn. The address is 7428 US-4 Killington, VT 05751.
FAIR – SATURDAY, AUGUST 11th
The Fair is an annual, old-time country fair done F&W style, with hand-powered rides, food, games, and concessions made by staff and campers. If this is your first year coming to Fair, you are in for a treat and if you’re a returning guest you know the magic this day holds! All visiting families, alumni and guests will meet campers and staff for a fun day on the Fairgrounds. Join us for camp info sessions, visit specialty booths, watch performances and participate in the annual contra dance and fire lighting ceremony.
Please do not bring any pets on F&W property as we have livestock on our small, organic farm. Leaving pets in a car is not an option; please make arrangements in advance for your pets.
To reach Bear Mountain, from Route 4 (at the Killington Skyeship Lodge), turn on East Mountain Road. Follow East Mountain Road 2.5 miles to signs for Bear Mountain on the left.
Look for F&W signage by the Killington Skyeship Lodge. Shuttles from the parking lot will run all day from 11am-8pm.
First time coming to the Fair? Here are a few suggestions on what to bring:
- Blanket and picnic lunch
- Swimsuit and towel
- Rain gear or umbrella
- Cash recommended for certain purchases (Farm stand and some food concessions)
FAIR SCHEDULE (All Times are Approximate)
- 11 am-8 pm: Shuttles to and from parking
- 11 am: Ticket sales begin. Tickets needed for rides, concession and non-cafe food. BDC Cafe & Farmstand are
- 12 pm: CAMPERS ARRIVE!! Gather at the Fairgrounds Bowl for the SAM Skit and the official start of Fair!
- 1-4 pm: FAIR! Concessions, rides and activities open. Camper performances at the Fair Stage.
- 2-3:30 pm: CHAT WITH THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR at the BDC Meeting Circle
- 2-2:45 pm: Flying Cloud Past & Future
- 2:45-3:30 pm: What’s New at F&W
- 3:15 pm: Lines for rides close. 3:30: Ticket sales end.
- 4 pm: Concessions close. Campers and staff eat with their camp; Alumni and families picnic on the Soccer Field (Sandwiches available for purchase – cash only).
- 5 pm: Contra Dance on the Soccer Field.
- 6 pm: FIRE LIGHTING Ceremony & Bonfire.
- 7 pm: Campers Return to Camps.
- 8 pm: Last shuttle departs for the Fair Parking lot.