Salary Category: Year-Round, Full-Time, Exempt Communications Manager
Reports To: Development Director
Direct Reports: Summer Media Assistants
The Communications Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of Farm & Wilderness (F&W) and Ninevah Foundation’s (NF) print, digital, and web communications. The position works across departments to solicit, update, and publish information; as well as to create and maintain consistent messaging and branding information. The Manager will be responsible for setting and tracking the external messaging and implementing segments of the Farm & Wilderness marketing plan.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Produces graphic design content for printed materials and displays for events, marketing, development, and admissions, as well as other organizational objectives as needs arise.
- Manages graphic design contractors for projects beyond our internal capabilities Photographer, Videographer and Visual Asset Manager
- As the primary contact for Farm & Wilderness photography/videography, the Manager solicits, takes, edits, posts, and organizes photos/videos
- Maintains current photo galleries on a third-party server, SmugMug
- Sets and manages the calendar of external messaging and coordinates across departments to oversee the annual flow and content of Farm & Wilderness and Ninevah Foundation communications
- Edits, supports, and sends mass emails for admissions, program, development teams and Ninevah Foundation’s “Splash”
- Creates and maintains email templates with timely information and a strong visual presentation
- Oversees all aspects of Farm & Wilderness’s biannual newsletter, The Interim, including setting deadlines, soliciting, writing and editing content, design layout, and all facets of printing and distribution
- Supports the layout, design, and production of the Annual Report as needed, in coordination with the Development Director
- Manages camp and organization blogs; assigns material for camp directors, executive director, summer staff, year-round resource and farm staff for guest blogs
- Provide overall management of marketing communications planning and content across the organization
- Supports and aids in the coordination of the marketing communications strategy working closely with all departments
- Ensures information on Farm & Wilderness’s and Ninevah Foundation’s websites are accurate and up to date with attention to best practices for Search Engine Optimization; enhances the website’s visual appeal by managing and updating text, pages, banner images, and photos
- Solicits information from and coordinates with all departments to keep the website appealing, relevant, and timely
- Manages social media communications across multiple platforms, including the website, the main Facebook page, oversees the management of individual camp Facebook pages, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram
- Drives traffic to main Farm & Wilderness website with blog postings, pictures, and other curate material
- Develops outreach materials and coordinates communications to constituents
Qualifications & Experience
- 4-year degree or commensurate experience
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience using Adobe InDesign, Lightroom and PhotoShop
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and office technology
- Knowledge of website systems (e.g. WordPress)
- A keen visual interest in layout and presentation of materials; with a basic understanding of marketing initiatives
- Ability to work independently and able to multi-task
- Previous experience working in an office/administrative setting, including excellent organizational skills, computer skills and ability to operate standard office equipment
- Professional character that is consistent, capable, self-directed, well organized, flexible, personable, and is able to maintain composure in a challenging environment
- Respectful, clear, and patient interpersonal communication skills that allow for collaborative work cross-departmentally
- Aspiration to develop a keen awareness of and respect for the values of F&W and its constituents
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Work includes long periods of sitting at a computer as well as hiking on natural terrain to capture photos during camps and other events. Some weekend work is required.
Farm & Wilderness Foundation (F&W) is a non-profit, educational organization operating eight summer camp programs for children and teens, a family camp, retreat rentals, and a conservation organization. Encompassing property over 1,500-acres in the Green Mountains of Vermont, F&W programs are rich in adventure, community, and a spirit that fosters individual connections with the natural world. While each camp and initiative provide unique programs addressing age and interests, all F&W activities are shaped by Quaker principles and the common belief that individuals and communities are strengthened by justice, honesty, self-reliance, diversity, and respect for all persons. In 2018, F &W joined forces with the Ninevah Foundation to manage the conservation of more than 3,300 acres of land and water in the Lake Ninevah valley. People of any race, background, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or economic status are encouraged to apply to join our community as campers or staff. To learn more about F&W please visit: http://www.farmandwilderness.org
Equal Opportunity Policy
Farm & Wilderness is an equal opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment shall be unlawfully denied an employment opportunity for which the employee or applicant is qualified because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or another protected category. F&W is committed to non-discrimination in its employment.
Salary and Benefits
This position includes a salary plus comprehensive benefits plan including health, vacation, and sick time, and a Staff Discount for those who wish to enroll their children in our camp programs.
Send a cover letter a resume to Thomas Henning at email@example.com.